Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery costumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> General Playboy Club discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BunnyFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Mystery costumes Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone is doing well.

I was looking through the new photo albums (thank you for sharing Lois and Dana... and everyone else!) and in one of the pictures there is a costume I don't recognize, it's the silver one in this picture...

Can anyone tell me more about it? Is it a an 80's bunny of the year costume?

Thanks all!

BunnyFan Bunny

Last edited by BunnyFan on Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
keelerphoto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these were early 1970s Suits, i dont think alot of them are around, recently they started to Remake Silver ones like the older ones for the New Playboy Club in Las Vegas,,Hope this Helps
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the silver Bunny suits were only worn by the Bunny of the Year for each club (usually with a sash), but I think an ex-Bunny told me otherwise.

As seen in this photo from the 1973 Bunny of the Year pageant:

Truth is, I can't remember. I've seen silver suits worn by more than one Bunny. But I think they were to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Playboy Clubs. Such as in this photograph:

I think by the late Seventies and into the Eighties, the silver suits were more generally used.

The move may have been motivated by the disco craze and the Star Wars phenomenon! ;)

And the Winter 1968 edition of VIP features a Bunny in a silver Bunny costume. I really need to scan those covers, there are some really nice shots among them.
BunnyFan

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the cover you're talking about Alan. Very Happy

I think this costume looks different from the later "bunny of the year" costumes... the bunny is also wearing silver tights in that pic. Spin

It also seems that in the later competitions the bunnies wore pink costumes and the international winner got a silver one instead of gold... I wonder why they changed it.

But I found a picture of another costume that I'm curious about:

Image courtesy of GettyImages.

I've never seen that costume before... I'm pretty sure the pic was taken in the London Playboy club in the late 70's can anyone tell me more about it? It looks like it might be an updated version of the croupier costume seen in the pic below.

Ok... I'm a nerd I know Tongue out

BunnyFan Playboy Logo

Last edited by BunnyFan on Tue May 26, 2009 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
keelerphoto

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you add photos????
also the photo is from Getty Images, i think you have to say "Courtesy of Getty Images" in your post to use it here, otherwise it might not be legal to use it here,,,

Last edited by keelerphoto on Wed May 27, 2009 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
BunnyFan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up! I'll do that right away!! I got it cropped from a friend so I should have known it had a watermark on it.

You add images with the "Img" button above the text field but below the subject field. You press it once, paste the url in the message and then press it again, hope this helps. Smile

BunnyFan Playboy Logo
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunnyFan wrote:
I think this is the cover you're talking about Alan. Very Happy

I think this costume looks different from the later "bunny of the year" costumes... the bunny is also wearing silver tights in that pic. Spin

Yes, that's the issue. And it isn't a BOTY costume - it has fur trim and a glitter-like finish. There were several one-off costumes, probably prototypes, that were never pressed into use in the clubs.

BunnyFan wrote:
It also seems that in the later competitions the bunnies wore pink costumes and the international winner got a silver one instead of gold... I wonder why they changed it.

I've no idea. Perhaps they chose pink because it looked better on the TV broadcasts. Viewing the brief clips in various Playboy/Bunny documentaries it seems the pageants had different segments with the finalists alternately wearing their Bunny costumes, evening wear and bikinis. Again, Playboy, make available these pageants, either freely or commerically, before you go bankrupt or sell out to toothy goon and psuedo-hippy Richard Branson.

BunnyFan wrote:
But I found a picture of another costume that I'm curious about:

Image courtesy of GettyImages.

I've never seen that costume before... I'm pretty sure the pic was taken in the London Playboy club in the late 70's can anyone tell me more about it? It looks like it might be an updated version of the croupier costume seen in the pic below.

Your assumption is correct. That is a London Club redesign circa 1978. I have a Sunday Times Magazine from that year with a feature covering the latest redesigns of the costume and an interview with a Playboy spokesperson. This information is from the top of my head, I tried to find the magazine but I've misplaced it for the moment. When i find it, I'll post again with the precise details.

I do remember that the costume redesigns weren't half as hot as the originals. Similarly, in my opinion, the Roberto Cavalli redesigns for the Vegas club aren't as sexy as the originals. He tried to throw too much in. You don't add go-fast stripes to a Rolls Royce.

Kind of like the episode of The Simpsons in which Homer designs a car (at his long lost brother's car plant) and it's an abomination (with the result that he bankrupts his brother). Prescient or predictive programming for the New World Order and their deliberate destruction of the world economy? Thanks Homer, thanks Groenig! DOH!

BunnyFan wrote:
Ok... I'm a nerd I know Tongue out

Nerds Rock!! Thumbs up
BunnyFan

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:

Yes, that's the issue. And it isn't a BOTY costume - it has fur trim and a glitter-like finish. There were several one-off costumes, probably prototypes, that were never pressed into use in the clubs.

I particularly love the flag ones like the Union Jack and American flag...
and if I may be so bold... I'd love to see a photo album with one off costumes, but since your site is dedicated to ex-bunnies I understand if you don't like the idea. :)

Alan wrote:
Your assumption is correct. That is a London Club redesign circa 1978. I have a Sunday Times Magazine from that year with a feature covering the latest redesigns of the costume and an interview with a Playboy spokesperson. This information is from the top of my head, I tried to find the magazine but I've misplaced it for the moment. When i find it, I'll post again with the precise details.

I never knew about that. Smile
But seems kind of funny that only a short time later the croupiers got to wear the original bunny costumes again.
Oh... and I envy you of your bunny collection, I wish I was as motivated in the bunny love. Very Happy

Alan wrote:
I do remember that the costume redesigns weren't half as hot as the originals. Similarly, in my opinion, the Roberto Cavalli redesigns for the Vegas club aren't as sexy as the originals. He tried to throw too much in. You don't add go-fast stripes to a Rolls Royce.

I do agree with you on that, there is just something missing from the whole look of the new costume... and I personally feel the new bunnies don't know how to wear it properly... but that's a different story.

Alan wrote:
Kind of like the episode of The Simpsons in which Homer designs a car (at his long lost brother's car plant) and it's an abomination (with the result that he bankrupts his brother). Prescient or predictive programming for the New World Order and their deliberate destruction of the world economy? Thanks Homer, thanks Groenig! DOH!

Love that episode!

Alan wrote:
Nerds Rock!! Thumbs up

Thanx! :D

BunnyFan Playboy Logo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> General Playboy Club discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: