Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> Website Comments and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Log in problems? Reply with quote

If you are experiencing problems logging in please let me know by email. (See the button below my message. Or through the email links on the main site.)

Some things to try if you cannot log in:

1. Make sure you are typing the correct username and password. Both are case sensitive. And if your username has a space, make sure to enter it.

2. Try shutting your browser, reopening it and coming back to the site. Sometimes that helps.

3. At the log in screen, click the link "I forgot my password" link. You'll be asked to enter your username and email address. A new password will be emailed to you.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, email me and I will be happy to look into the problem and fix it. Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search for potential causes of log in problems and often the fault is AOL's use of proxy switching (just something the AOL system does automatically as you surf). Apparently my own ISP does this too (Wanadoo), but I have, luckily, not had any problems logging in (bully for me!).

If you are an AOL customer and you are experiencing log in problems, please try the following:

1. Close your browser, re-open it and come back to the site.

2. If you still cannot log in, delete the cache in your browser (the cache is just the temporary storage space your browser puts files into as you surf the Web).
How to delete the cache: In Internet Explorer, on the Tool Bar at the top, go to Tools > Internet Options > Delete Cookies.
You may also want to try the Delete Files option too.
Don't worry, neither option deletes any personal files on your computer, just the files your browser has downloaded in the background as you surf. Anything you have chosen to save when surfing is saved to a specific folder (chosen by you) on your computer is also safe. Deleting cookies and files via this option only affects those files in your 'Temporary Internet Folder', that is, the cache of sites you have surfed recently. Your browser automatically deletes old files in it's cache after a set time (determined by default and user adjustable) so this is all quite normal.

This procedure is similar for other browsers, the steps just have different names. In Firefox it's Tools > Options and then you click the Privacy option (the big yellow padlock logo) where you will see tabs for both your cache and cookie. Click on the tabs to find the buttons to clear each.

3. If you still cannot log in, throw your computer out of the window.

4. If all else fails, punch Alan. (No, wait! Scrub that!) Punch the CEO of AOL!

I'm looking into a workaround for this proxy problem with the source code.

Why is it always AO-Hell that causes so many problems!? Bandwidth tinkering and proxy tampering. Annoying company! Mad
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible explanation if you cannot log in:

Does your username consist of two words with a space between them? (i.e. say your username was 'Joe Bloggs')

If so, let me know and I'll check your details in the database. I've just discovered the database erroneously added an additional space to a user's log in name, thus preventing that user from logging in successfully. Computer are very dumb/strict, they will treat 'Joe Bloggs' and 'Joe Bloggs' as two distinct usernames, even though to our eyes they are much the same name.

This extra space may have been added when the database recalculated/refreshed it's records and instead of ignoring the extra space, has written it as part of the username. This hasn't happened for other usernames of two words, of which there are many in the database. But it happened once, and it could happen again.

So if you do have a two-word username, it may be better to change it to a one-word name. Sp, using my 'Joe Bloggs' example above, change your username to 'Joe' or 'JoeBloggs' or 'Joe_Bloggs'. Underscores are ok, because a computer treats that as one word.

However bear in mind that some usernames are already taken, so if you want to use a popular 'Sharon', you cannot, you would have to use "SharonL" say or "Sharon67".

And of course 'Alan' is already taken! Wink

You can change your username in the Profile section, the link is at the top of every page. If you cannot log in, let me know and I'll change your username for you. And if you are having any kind of log in problems, whether you have a one-word username or not, DO let me know. I'll fix it.

I'd also appreciate if people who CAN log in actually post in a forum at least once (or email me) so that I have an idea of how many users this is affecting.

Now pass the Prozac... Bunny Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> Website Comments and Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: