Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is BB code and how do I use it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> Website Comments and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: What is BB code and how do I use it? Reply with quote

Have you noticed that when you post there are various buttons?

B i u Quote Code List List= Img URL

That funny looking stuff with the square brackets is known as BB code.

Clicking on them will insert special BB tags into your message.

It is confusing at first. BB just stands for Bulletin Board. This whole forum is a phpBB forum program. The PHP part of that name refers to the programming language the board was written with. (I didn't write it, the phpBB group did.)

When you are posting a message, you can add BB code, either by typing it, or by clicking on the buttons above the message input box.

Here's an explanation of how the URL button works, the principle applies to the other buttons.

The URL button initiates (and when clicked a second time, closes) a web link. You hit the URL button once and it automatically inserts this code into your message:

[url]

You now have two options. You can either immediately type (or copy and paste) a web link after this [url] link, such as http://www.google.com/ and then hit the URL button again to put a 'closing' [/url] 'tag' after what you have typed/pasted.

The whole code would be: [url]http://www.google.com/[/url]

When you post your message, this will create the link to the Google page.

The second way to use the URL tag is to put the web address inside the tag itself (and not immediately after it). You can then put a text description between the two [url] tags.

Like so: [url=http://www.google.com/]Google Search engine[/url]

This also creates a link when you post your message, but this time the text 'Google Search engine' acts as the link, and not the full web address as in the first example (which detects it as a link and so knows to make it one). In the second example you are specifying what the link for the text will be by putting the address inside the URL tag.

Note in both instances the 'closing' URL tag is the same, and also that it has the backslash character '/' [/url]

Essentially all the other BB code tags work the same way. You click the tag's button above the message box once, type what you want, then hit the same BB code button again to close the tag.

For instance to link to a photo, press the IMG button, then type the photos web address, then hit the img button again to close the tag. And when you post your message, the image should appear within your message.

e.g. [img]http://www.explayboybunnies.com/photoalbums/bunnymichele/bm1.jpg[/img]

I know it sounds complicated, but it only takes practice.

The font and color options work in a similar way.

Just like in a word processor, you can also highlight a phrase or whole paragraph in your message and apply formatting to it in an instant by clicking on one or more of the buttons or drop down options (e.g for font colour or font size).

Adding BB code through this highlighting method is easiest, because it automatically inserts the opening and closing tags for you in the right places.

As ever, if you need things clarified further, please ask. Happy to help.

There is also a general FAQ for the message board that answers common questions, find the link at the top of this page next to the forum logo.

Happy posting! Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll show you an example of how posting an image works.

I'll show you the code in this post, and then you can see what the result is below.

The code for placing an image in your post is as follows (using the 'Img' button on the post screen also brings up, first click, and closes the code, second click).

[img]http://www.explayboybunnies.com/images/explayboybunniesbunnygirls.jpg[/img]

Now, when you submit your message the code will display the image between thes two img tags. (see below)
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the image:

It didn't show up in my explanatory post above because I deliberately turned off the BB code so that you could see the code. In this message, the code is enabled so that the very same code now shows the image and not the text.

You can see the "Disable BBCode in this post" option, along with others, on the post a reply screen between the main text input box and the 'Preview' and 'Submit' buttons.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a complete run-through of how to post a message with an image in it:

1. Find a photo on the Internet you want to include in your post (but not one on your hard drive, it has to be already posted on the Web somewhere).

2. Move your mouse cursor over the photo.

3. Right-click on the photo and select 'Properties'.

4. In the box that pops up, highlight the image 'Address' part in the middle (it starts with http:// and will end in either a .jpg or .gif extension) To highlight: left click at the beginning (or end) of this address and then move your mouse to the end (or, correspondingly, to the beginning). Once it's all highlighted, right click on the highlighted area and left-click on 'Copy'. The web address of the image is now in your clipboard (but not the image itself, just it's text address).

5. Go back to the Ex Playboy Bunnies Forums and click the "new topic" or "post reply" buttons as normal.

6. Type your message, using any formatting you require.

7. Hit the return key so the image you are about to link to will be on a new line in your message.

8. Hit the 'Img' button once. Notice it brings up the [img] tag in your message.

9. You can now paste the image address after this tag. Normal pasting methods will work fine. ie, hit CTRL + V keys.

10. Hit the 'Img' button once more and the closing [/img] tag will appear after the test address of the image. Hit the return key again so that any new text you type after the image will appear on a new line.

Your whole message should look like:

The text of your message...
[img]http://www.somewebsite.com/photoname.jpg[/img]
More text of your message...

11. When you are happy with your message, click 'Submit' as usual and you should see the image in your message.

You can of course not have any text in your message and you can have as many images in a single message as you like. If you are having any trouble, let me know.

Complicated at first, but easy with practice. Like so many activities in life! :D

As I said, the photo has to already be on the Web and not on your hard drive. I can, if there is a demand for it, add the option to directly upload images from your own computer as attachments to your message. Images uploaded will appear just after the text of your image. If you use other message boards on the Web, you'll have seen this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ex Playboy Bunnies Forum Index Page -> Website Comments and Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: